Destiny Guide: How to Hit the 400 Light Level Cap
By Weston Albert 18 October 2016
With the increase of the Light level cap and changes to the upgrade economy, Destiny fans will want to be playing the right activities to level up to 400 Light fast.
With the launch of Wrath of the Machine’s Heroic Mode, Destiny‘s Light level cap has increased from 385 to 400 Light. Destiny fans who were previously below the 385 Light level cap should have little problem hitting 385 and starting their journey to 400, provided they are mindful of which activities and sources will get them there.
As detailed in a previous story, Destiny‘s upgrade economy got an overhaul with Heroic Mode’s release, taking Rare engrams from a 340 Light cap to a 365 Light cap. Likewise, the regular SIVA Crisis Strike playlist has also been adjusted to drop up to 365 Light items.
Meanwhile, Legendary engrams and the SIVA Strike Heroic playlist have been increased from 365 Light drops to 385 Light. Weapons and armor earned in Archon’s Forge has also been increased to 385. The Normal Mode Wrath of the Machine raid remains at dropping 385 items.
There is one more stair step before 400 Light, and that includes activities that drop up to 390 Light loot. Here are the places to get 390 Light gear:
- Vanguard Reputation Packages
- Crucible Reputation Packages
- Faction Reputation Packages
- Crota’s Bane Reputation Packages: As a side note, this is a great source for Artifacts, which can drop when ranking up a level with Eris Morn.
- Queen’s Wrath Reputation Packages: Yes, refreshed gear at high Light can now come from Petra Venj. Pick up her weekly bounties to rank up, or turn in some Etheric Light for reputation gains.
- House of Judgement Reputation Packages: Challenge of the Elders remain relevant. Pop a House of Judgement booster and grind the three bosses in Challenge of the Elders to raise your rank quicker.
- Gunsmith Reputation Packages: The Gunsmith may not have gotten new guns to bring in Rise of Iron, but the Light level of the guns he does offer continues to be relevant. With Year 2 weapons still being “Infusable” it is still worth doing Banshee’s bounties.
- Trials of Osiris Gold Bounties: The “His Eye Upon You” bounty, which can be picked up new each day of Trials will drop old Year 2 Trials gear, but at up to 390 Light.
Finally, for that last leg of the journey to 400, here are the sources that will grant up to 400 Light loot:
- Exotic Engrams
- Strike Hoard Chests
- Nightfall Strike
- Archon’s Forge Ghosts, Artifacts, and Class Items: While weapons and armor will only drop up to 385, Archon’s Forge is now a great source to find those hard to find items that often hold up Guardians from moving up in Light.
- Wrath of the Machine Heroic Mode
- Crucible Post-Match Legendary Drops
- Iron Banner Post-Match Legendary Drops
- Trials of Osiris Post-Match Drops and Lighthouse Chest Loot
- Lord Shaxx Weekly Bounties
- Iron Lord Bounties
Be sure to also check out this visual guide to grinding for max Light in Rise of Iron, created by Reddit user Cooldude9210.
Destiny: Rise of Iron is available now on PS4 and Xbox One.
Source: Destiny Reddit